Reaching Parents Through Toddler Groups
Groups for toddlers and their parents are popular church ministries. So, what does it look like for a church toddler group to reach the community in a meaningful way?
In this episode, Adrian Reynolds (Head of National Ministries) is joined by Liz Turton (Long Crendon Baptist Church) to discuss the toddler groups at her church and the ways in which they are seeking to reach parents.
Sensitivity warning: This episode includes discussions about baby loss and trauma.
00:00 - Introduction
00:49 - Toddler groups at Long Crendon Baptist Church
02:42 - Why are toddler groups at church so popular?
04:38 - The aim of a church toddler group
07:54 - Moving teaching from toddlers to parents and carers
13:39 - Talking about baby loss
21:43 - Preparing to talk about trauma and loss
26:51 - Training for toddler group volunteers
28:56 - How can church leaders support toddler groups well?
Resources mentioned in this episode
- Wonderfully Made course (thegoodbook.co.uk)
- Care for the Family events on tour (careforthefamily.org.uk)
- Held, 31 Biblical Reflections on God's Comfort and Care in the Sorrow of Miscarriage, Abbey Wedgeworth (thegoodbook.co.uk)
- Ours, Biblical Comfort for Men Grieving Miscarriage, Eric Schumacher (thegoodbook.co.uk)
- Mental Health and Your Church, A Handbook for Biblical Care, Steve Midgley & Helen Thorne, released March 2023, (thegoodbook.co.uk)
In:Dependence is FIEC’s official podcast, where you’ll hear teaching and resources for church leaders from the FIEC Ministry Team and guests from FIEC churches and partners.
You can subscribe by searching for “In:Dependence” on your favourite podcast app or by subscribing to the FIEC YouTube channel.