Natural Disasters, War in Ukraine, and Worldliness in the Church
How can we answer questions about suffering? What is a right response to the ongoing war in Ukraine? How do we avoid worldliness creeping into our churches?
In this episode, Phil Topham (Executive Director), Adrian Reynolds (Head of National Ministries), and John Stevens (National Director) discuss some of the big stories in the news this week.
00:00 - Introduction
00:21 - Earthquakes in Turkey and Syria
03:45 - Answering questions about God allowing suffering
07:25 - Luke 13 and human suffering
08:54 - The ongoing war in Ukraine
17:00 - The General Synod vote on same sex blessings
20:28 - How do we protect against worldliness creeping into the church?
28:53 - God and pronouns
Resources mentioned in this episode
- Turkey earthquake: Death toll could increase eight-fold, WHO says (bbc.co.uk)
- Volodymyr Zelensky makes history with speech to UK Parliament (bbc.co.uk)
- Church of England votes to offer blessings to same-sex couples (news.sky.com)
- FIEC beliefs and ethos statements (fiec.org.uk)
- Church of England priests push for non-gendered pronouns in prayers (thetimes.co.uk)
In:Dependence is FIEC’s official podcast, where you’ll hear teaching and resources for church leaders from the FIEC Ministry Team and guests from FIEC churches and partners.
You can subscribe by searching for “In:Dependence” on your favourite podcast app or by subscribing to the FIEC YouTube channel.