Word and Sacrament in Lockdown (Webinar)
A webinar, with Q&A, to help church leaders do the best they can in preaching the word and ministering the sacraments during the lockdown.
The aim of the webinar is to help church leaders do the best that they can in the circumstances in which they find themselves, to be constantly improving, learning from one another, in order to make the most of the opportunities they have.
- 0:00 - Teaching from John 6: 48-59 - Jesus the Bread of Life (John Stevens);
- 7:06 - Preaching Out of Season (Julian Hardyman and Matt Lillicrap);
- 22:36 - Sacraments in Lockdown (John Stevens)
- 37:37 - Q&A.
Key updates and comments
- We’re experiencing a type of ‘out of season’ preaching of the word right now (2 Timothy 4:2);
- Online preaching is important, but as people can only see you in part when online, so they can only see your preaching in part online;
- Length and structure of sermons may need to be adapted for a lower attention span when preaching through a screen;
- There is freedom in Independency when it comes to the sacraments, a diversity of theology and practice in secondary issues;
- Consider your normal practice and Biblical convictions – in changed circumstances, we may need to consider what are absolutes, and where we can compromise;
- Will what we are doing edify the congregation? Will it unify? Or not? What impact might doing, or not be doing, something have on a person’s walk with the Lord?
- Don't condemn or look down on those you disagree with.
Further links and resources
- Lockdown And the Lord’s Supper (Jonathan Griffiths);
- Can Baptism and the Lord’s Supper Go Online? (Bobby Jamieson);
- Practicing the Ordinances in a Pandemic (Bill Riedel);
- Is ‘online’ communion possible? (Graham Shearer);
- The Necessity of Word and Sacrament (Marc Lloyd);
- Does Corona Mean Communion on Your Owna? (Andrew Wilson).
Full details and booking for future webinars are available on our events page.