Leading the Church Without Becoming An Armchair Epidemiologist (Webinar)
Assessing and understanding the medical background of Covid can help as we navigate the different views about coronavirus and the following lockdown.
To help assess and understand the medical background of Covid, FIEC National Director John Stevens is joined by Dr Peter Saunders, former general surgeon and Chief Executive of the Christian Medical Fellowship, now CEO of the International Christian Medical and Dental Association.
Greg Strain, pastor of Spicer Street Church in St Albans, offers a pastor's perspective on the medical side of Covid.
00:00 - Bible reflection from Psalm 138: Hope for Oppressed Exiles
05:57 - Update on Coronavirus Law and Guidance in England
17:31 - Coronavirus: a Medical Perspective
37:59 - A pastor's view on coronavirus
45:05 - Q&A on the medical side of Covid
- Is lockdown worth it? Or is the cure worse than the disease?
- Should we have followed a model like Sweden?
- Why do we not lock down for seasonal flu which also kills people every year?
- Is mask-wearing effective?
- What ethical concerns are there that some vaccines have used aborted faecal tissue?
- Why do we all need to be vaccinated if the virus isn't as dangerous in non-vulnerable groups?
- Will RNA vaccines alter our DNA?
- How can we pastor those in our churches who subscribe to conspiracy theories?
- How can we pastor those in our churches who are intentionally breaking the law?
01:00:46 - Q&A on the latest coronavirus restrictions
- Are face masks mandatory for Bible studies in a church within the rule of six?
- If the venue we meet in has to close in Tier 3 (ie. a cinema), can we still meet there?
- Will under 5s still count in the rule of six?
- Does the rule on 'mingling' still hold in the rule of six?
- Can a small team meet in a church to record a school assembly?
- Will pastoral visits to over 70s still be allowed in the Tier systems?
- What are the pros and cons of hiring a new venue to meet in during lockdown?
- Should we continue to discourage the vulnerable from attending until we have a vaccine?
You can watch other previous webinars and sign up for future ones on the Leadership in Lockdown page.