Beyond the Covid Crisis - Leading in Complexity (Webinar)
How can church leaders navigate the challenges of leading churches out of the lockdown period when there is uncertainty and disagreement?
FIEC National Director John Stevens is joined by Jen Charteris, the Executive Director of Crosslands Training, to help think about leading churches in times of complexity.
0:00 - Bible reflection: Psalm 130
6:20 - Leading in Complexity
41:07 - Q&A
- Where do you start with leading in complexity when you're a single leader in a smaller church?
- What have been the most difficult instances of polarities in churches over the past year?
- Life After Lockdown, Andy Hunter (fiec.org.uk).
- A Recurring Ministry Problem, Ray Evans (fiec.org.uk).
Further reading on the topic:
- Polarity Management: Identifying and Managing Unsolvable Problems, Barry Johnson
- Images of Organisation, Gareth Morgan
- Strategic Management and Organisation Dynamics, Ralph Stacey
- Appreciative Inquiry, David Cooperrider
- Wicked Problems and Clumsy Solutions, Keith Grint
During this webinar, FIEC National Director John Stevens gave an update on the current situation with the Covid pandemic and the implications for churches.
The questions asked during the Q&A were:
- Has guidance changes for the over 70s?
- What is the direction of travel after the 21st of June?
- Which guidance should churches follow when it comes to mask-wearing in different settings?
- Should churches be using lateral flow tests for children's work like in schools?
Churches Through Lockdown
This webinar also included a talk from Tom Fenning, pastor at Beccles Baptist Church, to explain how his church are serving through lockdown.
You can watch other past webinars, and sign up for future webinars, on the Leadership in Lockdown page.