Highfields Church is a large independent church, uniquely situated in the heart of Cardiff serving a diverse community. We are passionate about reaching people with the good news about Jesus, making and maturing disciples and investing in the next generation of leaders.
We are seeking to appoint someone who has the vision to shape and oversee an established ministry among young people (aged 11 to 18) and their families. This is a dynamic ministry and forms a key part of the Highfields vision in spreading a passion for Jesus. We want an energetic, innovative and imaginative person who has a gift in discipling young people, a heart to equip leaders, and the ability to come alongside parents.
The successful candidate will be a committed Christian with evangelical convictions. They will work alongside the Highfields’ Children’s and Families Worker to make and grow disciples amongst the children, youth and families of Highfields and beyond.
The principal responsibilities are:
- Oversight of the church’s Bible teaching ministry amongst 11 - 18 year olds including setting the strategy, planning and delivery of the bible teaching curriculum
- Engagement with the local community e.g. in schools, in order to introduce young people to Jesus Christ
- Bible teaching to both large and small groups that meet midweek as well as on a Sunday.
- The ability to liaise with Church families, plus families who do not attend Church that have young people in our clubs. This will mean the ability to deal with challenging pastoral issues together with the Elders.
- Oversight of the recruitment, training and pastoral care of volunteer leaders
- Oversight of the integration of Youth into the life of the whole church family
- Liaising with the Children’s and Families Worker to ensure a joined-up approach to pastoral care for the families.
- The organisation and delivery of various church events together with the staff team. Including ‘all age services’, ‘Church day away’ and ‘Equip seminars’.
- Organise trips, such as weekend’s away and possibly small mission trips abroad
- Help Pastors in the delivery of training, guidance and advice to Parents.
- In conjunction with Church designated officers, ensure that the Church Child Protection Policy is implemented
The successful candidate will be someone:
- Who is a prayerful, committed Christian with evangelical convictions who models Christian living
- Who can relate to and communicate with young people who are both Christian and non-Christian.
- Who knows and can teach the Gospel and Bible effectively
- With a demonstrable love and concern for children and young people
- Who is an experienced youth worker
- Who is able to mentor young people and build strong relationships with families
- Who has “life experience” and can assist families with challenging pastoral issues
- Who can set a Youth Ministry strategy and plan a curriculum around it
- Who has strong administrative gifts and can plan ahead
- Who has personal authority which means that they can graciously lead a large team of experienced volunteers and exercise appropriate control and discipline of young people
- Who can work as part of a team both within Youth ministry and the wider Church
- Who is innovative and imaginative
Selection process: Before appointment the successful candidate will have been interviewed by a panel, met with existing staff, volunteer workers and young people and been observed whilst undertaking ministry.Contact us