East London Tabernacle Baptist Church (ELT) is looking for a Senior Minister to follow the retirement of Dr Kenneth Brownell in August 2021. This is an exciting opportunity for the right man to lead it in the next stage of its life building on its strong heritage and present strengths.
ELT is looking for a man who loves the Lord Jesus Christ and the Bible and is passionate about sharing its message as a pastor-teacher and evangelist. The man should meet the biblical criteria seen in the pastoral epistles which, broadly, encompass both godliness (1 Tim 3.1-7) and gifting (1 Tim 4.13-14).
We are looking for someone who will prayerfully lead the other elders as we seek to shepherd the flock together for the next stage in the life of ELT.
In particular we are looking for someone who will:
- Love people in the congregation as a shepherd, presenting Christ to them from the scriptures both in formal preaching on Sundays and through small groups and one-to-one. We believe that Christ is most clearly presented, and the sheep best fed, through expository preaching, but also desire to see this modelled in a life of love, care and prayer for members of the church.
- Remain faithful to the gospel in teaching, preaching and practice in our generation, and make sure people are fed from the Bible in a way they can understand, and help them navigate contemporary life and hold out the gospel to friends, family, neighbours and colleagues.
- Embrace the multi-national and multi-generational make-up of the church and help us strengthen this.
- Help us set and share a cohesive, long-term vision for the church with church members and newcomers alike.
- Help us reach the local community and city more effectively with the gospel. We would expect a senior minister to help us set a vision for evangelism and where appropriate be involved in this himself.
- Be an effective team leader, primarily of our elders and staff, helping us to lead the church effectively. We believe in the plurality of elders and aim to share the leadership of the church where possible. We are looking for someone who can help us grow in working as a team and build a culture of mutual emotional and spiritual support. We expect that the right man will have previous church leadership experience
- Help us grow a culture that is equipping the next generation for gospel ministry (2 Timothy 2:2).
- Be in agreement with both the longer Elders’ Affirmation of Faith and the shorter basis of faith (FIEC Statement of Faith) and associated policies on Gospel Unity, Women in Ministry and Same Sex Marriage.
For more information contact the ChurchApply Now