Application Deadline: 1 May 2019 (all candidates will be contacted whether they are successful or not, we will only seriously entertain one candidate at a time).
Start Date: 01 August 2019 (with an overlap period with our outgoing pastor whose Visa is expiring).
Description of Village
• Cromhall is a village in the South Gloucestershire located just north of Bristol east of the M5 junction 14 between the Severn River and Cotswold Edge.
• The village has an active Church of England school, a pub, village shop and village hall. It is also home to HMP Leyhill.
• Its demographic is comprised of both historic residents and new commuter residents. A partial snapshot of the Parish according to the 2011 census can be seen here: http://www.southglos.gov.uk/documents/Key-statistics-for-town-and-parish-councils.pdf
History of Chapel
• Our Chapel was founded in 1813, though Independents had existed in the area previous to this. In 1819 the Chapel building was built and it has since known extensive upgrades, including a hall (1984), a porch (1990), modern audio-visual (2015) and a new platform and baptistery (2018). Post- WWII the Congregational Chapel became baptistic in practice, and in 1970/1 did not join the URC, remaining independent. In 2005 we became affiliated with the FIEC.
Description of Chapel
• Though we have existed for over 200 years we find our identity in what the Lord is calling us to in the future.
• We regularly have around 40 at our morning service and 25–30 at our evening service.
• We have 27 members, 2 associate members and 13 regular hearers along with many occasional hearers and “friends” of the Chapel.
• Whilst an older congregation demographically, we are a spritely fellowship with a desire to reach our community with the Gospel.
• We have two services each Lord’s Day; a monthly crafters outreach group; a growing weekly Tots ministry; very strong links with the school (our pastor is presently a governor and takes Collective Worship there weekly); a weekly Bible study and prayer meeting (of which a majority of members attending); a bi-monthly men’s and women’s breakfast (the latter of which is well attended, especially by many outside the Chapel).
• We have three partners in mission and many additional ministries that we support.
• Isa 37:31 describes our path well: the surviving remnant…shall again take root downward and bear fruit upward. Our Chapel represents a faithful remnant that has persevered and remained a faithful witness to the Gospel in a time when many rural churches have closed or apostatised. During the last several years of our present pastor we have been blessed as a fellowship and put many roots downward. Now we are looking for a man to continue this work and help us bear fruit upwards.
Description of Role
• Pastoral-Elder to chair the Eldership
• Approx. 20 hours/ week + Lord’s Days
• Preach once a week, or one of our two services each Lord’s Day (attend services otherwise, when not preaching elsewhere)
• Ideally engage with the local school as a governor and in collective worship
o Weekly Bible study
o Pastoral visitation and care
o Various ministries (see above)
o Some administrative tasks
o Vision and mission
• Engage with the FIEC as appropriate (i.e. local fraternal)
The successful man of God will:
• Meet the criteria of 1 Tim 3:1–7 and Tit 1:5–16
• Share in our doctrinal beliefs (available online)
• Agree to our Constitution and Handbook as a CIO
• Have a heart for rural ministry
• Have a desire to become part of our fellowship, our community and be passionate about advancing our mission.
• Share our Acts 1:8 vision for mission and have a practical interest in it
• Ideally have gifting, not only as a pastor-teacher, but also that of an evangelist
• Work as part of a team of elders as a first among equals
• Work with our deacons and other officers and leaders
• Have some theological education (or equivalent)
• Have proven their pastoral/ministry gifting’s, ideally with at least 2 years’ experience
• Be open to being involved with the FIEC
• Be willing to relocate to the Parish, or the locality
• Provide at least 4 references (2 from Christian leaders, 2 from those in recent churches in which you have served)
• Be a UK citizen or resident
For more information or to submit your cover letter and CV write Chris Crocker @ firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications can only be considered from those who are UK citizens or who otherwise have a right to work in the UK.
You will need to be able to declare wholehearted acceptance of the FIEC doctrinal basis and agreement with the FIEC ethos statements.
Get in touch about this job email@example.com
Cromhall Chapel is the friendly community church near you. We offer sound biblical teaching and seek to demonstrate the life changing effect of knowing Jesus Christ in our everyday lives, as individuals and as a chapel community.
For more information please also see our website;