Pastor with Responsibility for Church Planting & EvangelismApply Now
Emmanuel Baptist Church is a growing evangelical church meeting in Horsforth, North West Leeds.
We are looking for a pastor with ministry experience to join the existing pastoral team.
Key areas of responsibility will be:
• Assisting the Senior Pastor with preaching, service leading and pastoral support
• Developing and implementing the church’s planting vision with the Senior Pastor and Elders
• Leading and Revitalising the church’s community outreach and evangelism
To request a full job description and application form please email [email protected]
If you would like more information about the position please contact Wes Johnston, Senior Pastor on 07910 817599.
Emmanuel Baptist Church – background
Emmanuel is an independent Baptist church with 130 members with many other adults in regular attendance. We have a Reformed heritage and are Congregational in belief and practice.
The church has both an Eldership, a Deaconate and a Pastoral team of 2 full-time staff and 1 part-time, supported by a full-time Operations Manager.
We are complementarian, but encourage women to serve in multitudes of ways including leading Home Groups, Children's Talks in the Sunday morning services and also as Deacons.
We have nearly twenty different nationalities at Emmanuel and a broad range of theological views across the Evangelical spectrum. We do, however, require all church officers to subscribe to our Basis of Faith.
We have lots of young families and extensive children's and youth ministries. We are blessed with a strong group of musicians who support our broad range of contemporary and traditional music.
We own our own building which is located in Horsforth, North West Leeds close to the ring road (A6120). Our building is extremely well used, including by our OFSTED outstanding Preschool which currently employs 6 Christian staff. We also hire our facilities, where possible, to the local community.
Emmanuel is affiliated to the FIEC, a member of Yorkshire Gospel partnership and the church planting network Gospel Yorkshire. We have good links with a range of local Gospel churches across the city of Leeds, West Yorkshire and Yorkshire as a whole.
Our desire is to share the gospel in as many ways as possible and under the Lord's hand to see conversion growth at Emmanuel and other churches planted around the City.
Principal Responsibilities (Job Description)
1. Researching, preparing for and leading a church plant from Emmanuel Baptist Church.
2. Developing, in conjunction with the Senior Pastor and Elders at Emmanuel, a leadership team for the new church.
3. Revitalising and leading church-wide evangelism and community outreach
4. Preaching on the Lord’s Day, usually once or twice a month at Emmanuel, but then most Sundays at the church plant. This will include service preparation and liaison with the Operations Manager and Music Ministry leader.
5. Leading services and taking communion services as required.
6. Leading a Home Group (Growth Group).
7. Assisting with pastoral care for our members and attenders and others who come within the orbit of our ministry, working in conjunction with the pastoral team, Elders and Deacons. This will on occasions include emergency pastoral situations.
8. Specific pastoral care for members and attenders involved in the church plant as that group comes into being.
9. Leading other services and events on an ad hoc basis – e.g. weddings, funerals, Christmas Day services, Holiday Bible Club etc.
10. Any other duties commensurate with the role, which may be required from time to time.
Person Specification (skills, experience, knowledge and qualifications)
• Christian in full agreement with the church’s rules and Basis of Faith.
• High integrity and trustworthiness with clear recognition of the need for confidentiality and sensitivity in relationships and communications.
• Good time management and the ability to achieve deadlines.
• Able to work on your own initiative, dealing with competing demands.
• Able to forward plan and organise.
• Good interpersonal skills and the ability to recognise differing perspectives.
• Communication skills (written and oral).
• Good understanding of safeguarding principles.
• Experience in pastoral care.
• Preaching and teaching gifts.
• Theological/Christian ministry qualification (experience in a pastoral/preaching role with mentoring from a mature experienced pastor may suffice).
• Full driving licence