Hours per week: Part time role, for total of 2.5 days (20 hours) per week. There is some flexibility with how these can be spread across the week. Pro-rated 30 vacation days + 8 public holidays.
Reports to: Matt Round (Lead Planter)
Manages: Church Administrator (self-employed); Book Keeper (contractor); team may develop
Team context: Eldership team overseeing pastoral matters and vision – quarterly check-in. Peer directors with responsibility for mission, community, discipleship, multiplication and arts (mix of voluntary and paid). Volunteer ministry leaders and team leaders serving under directors. A number of ministry trainees with some time allocated to practical church operations work.
Events: Owner for processes and systems ensuring smooth operation of church gatherings and other church events, overseeing a large group of volunteer teams and leaders. Responsible for ongoing proactive improvements. Work with peer directors and volunteer leaders to:
- Identify, document and systematise all event-related repetitive tasks
- Create, train for, develop and retire event-related roles as required (e.g. set up of chairs, digital publishing of gathering recordings.)
- Maximise participation through systematic volunteer scheduling for event-related roles
- Manage and develop AV and IT components including livestream technologies
- Deliver regular reporting to external and internal customers (e.g. CCLI, the eldership)
- Line-manage existing Church Administrator (2d/week)
Venue: Determine how best to meet Hope City Church Edinburgh’s venue needs and aspirations while minimizing cost in the short, medium and long term. Responsibility for venue operations, maintenance and enhancement in pursuit of this. Includes potential for venue expansion/alternatives as required to support the church’s work and vision.
HR: Identify, develop, operate and continue to evolve key HR policies and practices (recruitment, annual leave, discipline, etc). Manage and develop church membership data systems and processes. Drive the weekly staff meeting.
Finance: Provide leadership and direction to volunteers on the Finance Team; provide direction and oversight to outsourced providers (book keeping, payroll, statutory accounts).
- Develop and drive a budgeting process and regular review process
- Oversee and enhance our expenses, invoicing, payroll, and Gift Aid systems
- Deliver required compliance such as Companies House and OSCR reporting
- Provide regular reporting including financial issues/risks to Elders (monthly) and congregation (quarterly).
- Operations Director will not be responsible for fundraising, and will have no operational access to church bank accounts.
Communications: Deliver and evolve internal and external communications (printed collateral, website, email, social media, advertising)
Health & Safety: Responsibility for proactive compliance with up-to-date, relevant health and safety legislation with respect to the building and how it is used throughout the week. This includes, but is not limited to, COVID, fire safety, first aid, building security, risk assessments and child protection. A balanced attitude focused on actual risk reduction rather than compliance box ticking is required.
- Shares Hope City Church’s core values + willing to join the committed core here
- Able to proactively identify and creatively resolve complex problems
- Creates and develops systems and processes
- Works independently with minimal direction and supervision
- Confident in negotiation and conflict resolution
- Strong sense of responsibility and ownership
- High level of personal organisation
- Strong communication and IT skills; MS Office proficiency
Prior experience in a church staff or charity role is not required.
This role has a Genuinue Occupational Requirement that the post holder is a Christian and passionate follower of Jesus Christ, as permitted under Schedule 9, Part 1, of the Equality Act 2010.Contact us